Feedback about HOT as an isp

Micha Feigin michf at post.tau.ac.il
Sat Mar 8 23:11:54 IST 2014

It depends on what you are doing, I've been running fine with 2mb/s.
Gave up on Bezeq when they tried to tell me that I need a faster line
when I called them to resolve my ssh terminal (text only) connection is
responding poorly.

Hot were OK in terms of performance (was also using the 2mb/s line
though), but since I was paying only for internet and phone, no TV, fake
technicians called me every few months, as well as some visits by thugs,
telling me that they can see on the router that I'm also using TV
illegally and if I don't upgrade the line they will sue  (I kept telling
them that  it's only slightly more feasible than building a Perpetuum
Mobile to detect a passive TV receiver behind the hot band pass and the
two phone + internet modems, but it was lost on them).

Can't tell you much about higher bandwidth though, sorry.

Note thought that it would also depend on your internet provider as well
as their settings, not just hot, as the provider is you bottleneck to
the actual internet, and they may do traffic shaping or just not buy
enough bandwidth abroad. I got horrible speeds to the states though the
provider (forget who it was, sorry), while getting very nice performance
when using the TAU proxy.