NTP

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Thu May 1 21:45:45 IDT 2014

Hi,

We have an array of devices and computers.  Two Linux machines, a win7
box, an iMac, a Macbook Pro, an iPad, an iPad Mini, two iPods, three
iPhones and two Nexus 7s.

We have Internet service from Bezeqint via Bezeq DSL.  We got a new router
in February, which will become relevant shortly.

all our devices are configured to keep time synched automatically.  For
the windows 7 machine, we installed a third-party time-keeping software
instead o fallowing Windows to sync once a week.

all was working fine until I realised a couple of weeks ago that the
windows machine was over 30 seconds slow.  Due to the time-keeping
software installed, we were able to see that it hadn't managed to sync the
time since 7 April.

I initially blamed Windows and the fact that I was running software that
hadn't been updated in ten years.  But installing a windows port of NTP
didn't fix things.

I then realised that my Linux machines weren't keeping time either.   They
simply hadn't drifted as far, as Linux is better at keeping time.  The
macs weren't either.

To cut a long lot of investigations short, I determined that I couldn't
sync time using ntpd on port 123.  The only way I could get time sync to
work was to use ntpdate with an unprivileged port.

I did some searching, and found a post (that I apparently didn't bookmark)
that suggested that some sites block NTP traffic in order to prevent
certain types of DOS attacks.  Users at such sites are expected to use NTP
server(s) located within the network.

Since I tried a range of servers in a range of locations with no luck, I
wondered if Bezeqint were doing the same thing.

I managed to find time.bezeqint.net but it doesn't seem to work either.

I called Bezeqint and had some difficulty explaining my problem to them in
English.  When I did finally manage to get someone who knew what NTP is,
they thought it might be  a problem with the router.  While this is
possible, we got the router almost two months before the problem started.

I expect I might get a similar answer if I call them back again, and if I
do call Bezeq about it, I expect them to blame Bezeqint and so-on.

Since nothing has changed in the last two weeks, I thought I might do
better by asking here.

So I'm wondering:

1.  Is anyone else having this problem?

2.  Has anyone found a server that works?

3.  Any other ideas I've not thought of?

All our devices are now drifting at various rates and it's getting quite
frustrating.

Geoff.