CPU Overheating Problem When Running 4 CPU Intensive Threads with Latest Untained Kernel

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Mon May 19 20:06:53 IDT 2014

"E.S. Rosenberg" <esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il> writes:

> I may be misreading you but:
> nice values go between -20 and 20 where negative numbers have a
> *higher* priority then positive numbers, it's a "rating" of how "nice"
> my program is to others, so -20 is absolutely rude to the others and
> doesn't share whereas 20 will always yield right of way...

Your understanding of niceness is right. What you are missing is that
Shlomi uses the old (familiar, but deprecated) syntax: "nice -19"
actually means the same as the more modern "nice -n 19".

Check

info coreutils 'nice invocation'

for explanations and examples.

[Also note that the nice argument is relative to the current niceness,
not an absolute value.]

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org