partly OT: notification of url when connecting to open wifi

Jonathan Ben Avraham yba at tkos.co.il
Mon May 26 10:44:35 IDT 2014

Hi Erez,
For each AP you need to maintain a table of client connections that are
"accepted", meaning that the client has presented some type of credential
or payment or whatever.

Packets from clients that are not accepted are routed to some
authentication or payment gateway, with possible port translation.

The accepted client table does not have to be on the AP itself. It is
usually held in a RADIUS server upstream. The authentication gateway also
does not need to be on the AP itself. It can be upstream and does not have
to be the same as the RADIUS server. You can also have more than one
payment gateway but use the same RADIUS server.

That, in a nutshell is how it is done. There's a lot of netfilter/iptables
smoke an mirrors going on on the AP.

  - yba