Boot sequence on Ubuntu 14.04

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Tue Oct 7 23:30:58 IDT 2014

DId you verify that everything had finished installing w/o error?
For interrupted installs:
dpkg --configure -a

and then:
apt-get update && apt-get autoclean && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get
autoremove

Would make sure that everything was installed properly, what you decribe to
me sounds like a system that didn't actually finish it's upgrade/install
process and was rebooted.

HTH, chag sameach,
Eliyahu - אליהו