Question about how to make a living from open source

tzahi ml tzahi.ml at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 18:34:37 IDT 2014

Hi Aviram,
As it is an email, it is difficult to convey details and it can be
confusing.

I am not restricting anything, but since this is a linux/open source
mailing list I asked it with this subject.
I worked on proprietary code for the last 8 years so I have no problem with
proprietary or open source.
I do think there are merits to start with an open source project since it
is a good starting point (otherwise you start from scratch). Also, I am not
saying I am restricted to writing open source code.

I would like to create a product (as i wrote earlier i just closed my 2nd
or 3rd startup depends how you look at it) eventually but I am trying to be
realistic. Start again more slowly.

Starting again from scratch: I am currently a freelancer by choice. This is
my first time I have worked this way. I am actually being payed well but I
do want something which scales and sustainable in the future and that will
be turned into a company (somehow), preferably self funded by effort
instead of investments. I am not looking to make big bucks but to have more
control of the direction it takes. I worked for huge companies which wasted
my time by writing the same thing over and over for stupid reasons. I got
payed well but I feel I can do more.

I am looking for an advise to jumpstart. A place to start. Naturally, my
first thought was ask in this mailing list since there are people with open
source and business experience here. Perhaps there is a sustainable
specific format with other companies examples etc... Everyone says, don't
take employees, don't start a startup, don't be independent, don't do that,
don't do this. But what can I do?... :)

I guess this is too general and I should be more specific but this is my
current state so I am telling it as it is. I can write about my attempts
but I don't have any definite direction at this time so I am not sure they
are relevant.