Debian Testing (was: Re: Summary: Which Linux distribution is stable yet up-to-date)

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Wed Dec 2 09:18:08 IST 2015

Actually, Debian Testing is a bad alternative when wishing to trade off
stability vs. being up-to-date.

On one hand, while Debian Testing is mostly stable, things break all the
time (and get fixed within few days). Not good when you depend upon a
working system for your work. The worst breakages occur during the first
weeks after Debian Testing goes out of freeze, following a Debian Stable
release.

On the other hand, Debian Testing gets frozen (except for bug fixes) for
several months each two years or so, while a new Debian Stable release
is being made.

The best use case for Debian Testing is for someone who develops (or
adapts) software for running in a Debian installation, and needs to test
it in a live system.

On my current main PC I use Debian Stable (Debian Jessie at the moment),
and until recently I used Debian Testing on a netbook which I use for
lecture notetaking. I learned early in the game not to update packages
on the netbook for few days before lectures and other events, for which
I need notetaking.

--- Omer

--
You haven't made an impact on the world before you caused a Debian
release to be named after Snufkin.

I may be affiliated in any way.