E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Mon Dec 7 13:10:00 IST 2015

As mentioned before, Fedora is very stable and has very regular updates.
I also like Ubuntu a lot and since I also don't like Unity I use the
Ubuntu flavour with my favourite DE (After all there's Ubuntu,
Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Lubuntu etc. and after install you can
actually install the other flavours too).

I started on Debian Testing (actually all Debian flavours, along long
time ago) but moved to Ubuntu because I like to on the one hand be
relatively bleeding edge but on the other hand have 'stable' periods
and I think a half year release cycle hits that spot very nicely also
I felt like the ubuntu guys made more of an effort to give me a good
experience as a whole whereas Debian at the time felt much more like a
collection of software which didn't necessarily fit together well.

These things may very well have changed by now but I still think that
Ubuntu with it 'being pinned' for a half a year is preferable over a
rolling release like Debian/Testing though of course it all depends on
your needs and wants.

I just don't get the "I don't like Unity so Ubuntu is not an option"
that's saying "I don't like [DE] and therefore [distro] is not an
option" even though I don't think there is any distro that prevents
you from installing other DEs...

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו