How to install several kernels on Debian

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Sun Dec 13 15:06:05 IST 2015

Hi,

I am confused and I wonder if some Debian expert can calm me down. I
want to install several different kernel versions on a Debian
server. Off-topic: this is something that Red Hat do without being asked
(they keep several versions, usually 3), so it is something that seems
natural to me.

However, I cannot find any documentation anywhere on the 'net that tells
me how to get two or more kernel versions on the same Debian machine without
compiling. I just want to install 2 or more linux-image packages and
whatever else needs to be installed - and have them in grub, etc. The
only things I see are "don't install new kernels" and "you can upgrade"
and "download and compile".

# apt-cache search linux-image

shows 3.2.0, 4.2.0, and 2.6. I will be happy with the first two (though
I'd like something in between as well).

However,

# apt-get install linux-image-4.2.0-1-amd64
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 linux-image-4.2.0-1-amd64 : Breaks: initramfs-tools (< 0.110~) but
 0.109.1 is to be installed
   Breaks: udev (< 208-8~) but 175-7.2 is to be installed

does not add to my confidence. I want 2 kernels, 2 initial ramdisks,
etc., on the same machine and in the same grub without investing time to
compile.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org