How to install several kernels on Debian

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Tue Dec 15 14:03:34 IST 2015

Yedidyah Bar David <linux-il at didi.bardavid.org> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Oleg Goldshmidt <pub at goldshmidt.org> wrote:
>>
>> this is something that Red Hat do without being asked
>> (they keep several versions, usually 3), so it is something that seems
>> natural to me.
>
> Generally, should work similarly in Debian.

So what's the apt-get equivalent of yum install (as apt-get install is
similar to yum update)?

> This break due a specific different issue, not because Debian does not
> support this in general.

I think that the root cause is that "apt-get install" updates rather
than installing together.

> No idea about your specific issue. Did you try to also upgrade udev and
> initramfs-tools?

Will my 3.2 keep working? I have no confidence in that. Again, I do not
want to "upgrade" anything - I want to switch between several kernels at
will. I also do not want to compile - I want stock Debian kernels.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org