Up-to-date hardware (laptop) recommendations?

Yaron de Leeuw jdlmail at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:15:17 IST 2015

On 29 November 2015 at 15:48, Shachar Shemesh <shachar at shemesh.biz> wrote:

> On 29/11/2015 11:05, Omer Zak wrote:
>
> - Ability to connect 2-3 external displays (possibly via a docking
> station).
>
> May I ask why? Do you plan to connect the internal monitor + 3 external
> monitors simultaneously?
>
> You need to be aware that even if there are so many ports (and my
> laptop+dock does have that many ports), it does not mean you can actually
> use all of them at the same time. That is a function of several factors,
> GPU memory being possibly just one of which. A laptop with a very high end
> graphics adapter (which is what you are implicitly asking here) would be
> very expensive.

Regarding multiple external displays, the display port 1.2  standard
supports 'multi-stream'.
This means that some monitors allow 'daisy-chaining', and there are also
monitor hubs available [1],
so there is no 1:1 mapping between ports and monitors.

Of-course your graphics card has to support it, and the bandwidth is
limited (up to 4 1080p displays for example)[2],
and Shachar's comments about GPU memory and capabilities are correct,
but it should work  (in Linux kernels >= 3.17 )

Yaron

[1]
http://www.startech.com/AV/Displayport-Converters/Triple-Head-DisplayPort-Multi-Monitor-MST-Hub~MSTDP123DP
[2]