Up-to-date hardware (laptop) recommendations?

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Sun Nov 29 21:02:46 IST 2015

People replied to my message in private and to the mailing list. In the
following, I'll summarize their points and respond to them.

-=-=-=-=-=-

(1/9) Shachar Shemesh/Roman Ovseitsev:
Why connect internal monitor + 3 external monitors?

My response:
I was not clear in expressing my wishes.
What I'd like to be able is to work at home with three monitors. I do
not care if it is 3 external monitors (with disabled internal monitor)
or 2 external monitors with an active internal monitor.

Roman Ovseitsev's point about Skylake based laptop: not relevant since I
do not need more than 3 monitors total.

Thanks also to Yaron deLeeuw for the tip about looking for display port
1.2.

-=-=-=-=-=-

(2/9) Shachar Shemesh:
Recommends Dell, which has reasonable Linux support.
Uses Dell Latitude E7440.

My response:
What does "reasonable" mean here? Are there any features not well
supported by Linux?
Do other models in the E7000 series have as good reputation? If yes,
I'll check if any of them supports total of 3 displays.

-=-=-=-=-=-

(3/9) Roman Ovseitsev:
Uses ThinkPad T 14" for several years and is happy with it.

My response:
How are today's ThinkPads (which are probably different from ThinkPads
from years ago)?

-=-=-=-=-=-

(4/9) Shachar Shemesh/Roman Ovseitsev:
Latest models don't have eSATA port, relying upon USB-3 instead.

My response:
It is a pity, because (according to Wikipedia), SATA 3.2 provides
16Gbit/sec transfer speed while USB 3.1 provides only 10Gbit/sec.

-=-=-=-=-=-

(5/9) Boris Shtrasman:
How about Legacy and UEFI (or only UEFI) mode?

My response:
UEFI should be OK, but I need to disable secure boot so that I'll be
able to upgrade Linux kernels at whim.

-=-=-=-=-=-

(6/9) Boris Shtrasman:
How about vPRO / AMT?

My response:
Not relevant for me, because the laptop will be for my personal use and
not for corporate use.

-=-=-=-=-=-

(7/9) Boris Shtrasman:
USB 3 vs. USB 2?

My response:
USB 3 is not mandatory (unless needed as a substitute for missing eSATA
connections).

-=-=-=-=-=-

(8/9) Boris Shtrasman:
UMTS/4G adapter (for cellular communication)?

My response:
Prefer not to have - might shock me by unexpected cellular phone
charges.

(9/9) Service providers:
People remarked that Dell provides good service in Israel, whereas
Neupan's service is bad.

--- Omer

--
My Commodore 64 is suffering from slowness and insufficiency of memory;
and its display device is grievously short of pixels.  Can anyone help?

I may be affiliated in any way.