Up-to-date hardware (laptop) recommendations?

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 22:49:08 IST 2015

After much consideration, I purchased a Thinkpad W541. The specific model
was important because I make heavy use of the Trackpoint(tm)  style pointer
and other newer models don't have this.

My version has a massive 2880 x 1620 pixel display, as I often have
multiple things open.

Linux install hung near the beginning the first few times, then continued
flawlessly. I was using an Ubuntu live CD I can't recall what I did to get
past the hanging.

I routinely use an external projector (college professor) and there is only
one projector at my university that sometimes gives me trouble. Lately I've
had no trouble using HDMI via the mini DP with this projector. Other
projectors seem to work fine with either VGA or mini DP.

My Thinkpad has 4 USB ports. I believe 2 of them are 3.0.

No external eSATA. I removed my DVD drive and bought an adapter to install
a second disk drive, which is solid state, on which I installed Linux. I
retained the original Windows disk as I sometimes have to work in Windows.

Happy to answer other questions about this if interested

Michael

I've never tried three monitors but I would like to. If I do I will report
back.