Which Linux distribution is stable yet up-to-date?

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Mon Nov 30 10:53:09 IST 2015

In another E-mail thread I am discussing selection of a laptop.
Once a laptop is acquired, I'll want to install one of Linux
distributions on it.

At present, I am using Debian Stable (today it is Debian Jessie) as the
host OS of my PC, along with Ubuntu 14.04 inside a VirtualBox based
virtual machine (Android development environment).

For the new system, I'd like to select an host Linux distribution with
stable but up-to-date kernel, Docker and a virtualization system
(VirtualBox or other).  For this, Debian Stable (today's Debian Jessie)
is not the answer as it gets updated about once each two years.

I'll want to use Docker to run my current Debian Jessie installation and
the Android development environment (running on Ubuntu). The
virtualization system will be used to experiment with bleeding edge
stuff such as new Linux kernel versions, Debian Unstable, GNU/Hurd and
other exotic stuff.

What is the community's recommendation for a Linux distribution which
provides stable yet up-to-date versions of the Linux kernel and the
other basic software tools?

--- Omer

--
The key to making programs fast is to make them do practically nothing.
Mike Haertel (original author of GNU grep)

I may be affiliated in any way.