Which Linux distribution is stable yet up-to-date?

Jeremy Hoyland jhoyland at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 17:42:06 IST 2015

If you want the benefits of Ubuntu without the idiosyncrasies of the Unity
interface (which is better than it used to be, btw), you may want to
consider the Linux Mint (cinnamon) distro. Release 17.2 is based on Ubuntu
trusty (LTS) and the cinnamon interface is easy to use and attractive.

Mint uses apt and .deb files which you are used to, I think. Mint distro is
not glatt-kosher about OSS, so (say) skype comes OOTB and needs no
additional configuration (other than "sudo apt-get install skype").

J.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Yuval Adam <yuval at y3xz.com> wrote:

> Arch Linux is highly recommended in this case. I've been using it for
> the past several years and have never looked back at any other distro.
>
> Arch should fit your requirement for bleeding-edge packages (kernel,
> docker, etc.) yet it really is extremely stable (granted, I wouldn't use
> it on a production server, as updates do have the potential for some
> downtime.)
>
> There is a learning curve to Arch, but it is an extremely rewarding
> distro to use.
>
> On 11/30/2015 10:53 AM, Omer Zak wrote:
> > In another E-mail thread I am discussing selection of a laptop.
> > Once a laptop is acquired, I'll want to install one of Linux
> > distributions on it.
> >
> > At present, I am using Debian Stable (today it is Debian Jessie) as the
> > host OS of my PC, along with Ubuntu 14.04 inside a VirtualBox based
> > virtual machine (Android development environment).
> >
> > For the new system, I'd like to select an host Linux distribution with
> > stable but up-to-date kernel, Docker and a virtualization system
> > (VirtualBox or other).  For this, Debian Stable (today's Debian Jessie)
> > is not the answer as it gets updated about once each two years.
> >
> > I'll want to use Docker to run my current Debian Jessie installation and
> > the Android development environment (running on Ubuntu). The
> > virtualization system will be used to experiment with bleeding edge
> > stuff such as new Linux kernel versions, Debian Unstable, GNU/Hurd and
> > other exotic stuff.
> >
> > What is the community's recommendation for a Linux distribution which
> > provides stable yet up-to-date versions of the Linux kernel and the
> > other basic software tools?
> >
> > --- Omer

Jeremy Hoyland
jhoyland at gmail.com