[gnubies-il] UBUNTU 15.04 internet connection

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Mon Oct 5 17:12:12 IDT 2015

Hi donkohoty,

welcome aboard.
On 04 Oct 2015 22:26:10 -0700
"donkohoty at yahoo.com [gnubies-il]" <gnubies-il at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> I want to install UBUNTU 15.04.
>
>  At present I have Win 10. My internet connection is ADSL-Bezeqint, with a
> Bezeq made modem. My question is: when I boot from the UBUNTU CD I have two
> options. One – to try the system without installing it.
>  Two – to install.
>  In either option, what about the connection to the internet?
>  Do I have to do something or it is automatic?
>
>  And, if it is not automatic, how to connect?

First of all, note that if your modem/router provides DHCP, then in Ubuntu and
similar user-friendly distributions, the networking should work out of the box.
See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

You can try running the system without installing it (in the so-called
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD -mode ) and see if the browser can
connect to some of your favourite web sites, and if so - it should also just
work in the hard-disk-installed version of Ubuntu.

Finally, two notes:

1. The GNUbies-IL mailing list went into disuse and I believe you should in
general use Linux-IL instead:

Part of the original motivation for creating GNUbies-IL was a
Linux-IL policy that prohibited beginners questions, but I don't think it's a
problem now . I CCed my reply to Linux-IL.

2. Ubuntu should not be spelled in all-caps, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29 .

3. Many people dislike the default Ubuntu Unity desktop environment, so you may
opt to use something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE instead.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish