Does anyone know how to solve "Too many login attempts" with smtp.gmail.com?

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Mon Apr 18 17:18:17 IDT 2016

Boris shtrasman <borissh1983 at gmail.com> writes:

> As of last night, I'm no longer able to use smtp.gmail.com.

I suspect that if you use gmail as your smarthost they impose a limit on
the number of mails you can *send*. I don't remember the details, e.g.,
whether it is 100/day or something like that, but I remember running
into the limitation in the past. Nor do I remember if it manifested
itself as a login limit, but I suppose it might since you authenticate
when sending mails.

If you have some cron job or monitoring system or something else that
sends mails and that could have exceeded their limit (check logs?), I'd
suggest you look up their documentation and/or contact their support.
They'll unlock the account and will also tell you how to avoid the
problem in the future. I don't recall what the solution was since I was
not the one handling the issue. That was in a commercial setting,
anyway.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org