Did anyone able to use hangouts without a google account vs xmpp accounts ?

Boris shtrasman borissh1983 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 10:26:57 IDT 2016

Following a chat with a Hangouts plugin developer and noticing that some
users under hangouts had walla and sfr accounts, we come to conclusion that
maybe there is some kind of federation in place.

Did anyone was able to use hangouts IM (*) without a google account,
If yes have you been able to interact with XMPP (Google Talk) and can you
share how your JID is formed ?

With google it would be :

user at gmail.com/resource or user at googlemail.com/resource

The test consist the following :

Option A:
User A : With pidgin + *XMPP*         with a google account.
User B : Any mainline hangouts app *without* a google account.
User B : initiate a chat (send a messge) to user A.

User A - should recieve a message in pidgin.
User A - click on get info on the nick of user B in the message box.

Option B:

Feel free to try to join this email, from hangouts without a google
account.

(*) - I know a user can join a talk without Google Account via a link , but
I'm talking about initating and ussing the mainline apps.