Advice on lightweight laptops for Linux (of course)

E.S. Rosenberg esr+linux-il at g.jct.ac.il
Tue Dec 27 23:41:52 IST 2016

I have an Asus machine, it is now ~4.5 years old, I gave it an SSD
upgrade and replaced the battery last summer (1.5 years ago) and the
only thing really bothering me a bit these days is that I have only
4GB of RAM so with mild worry I ended up enabling swap on my SSD.

By the time the SSD goes I'll probably end up buying a new machine, my
next machine should have at the very least 8 if not 16-32G of RAM, I
expect this machine to last at least until coming summer and I may
even take it all the way to 6 years.
I also expect that people with better/less intense computer haibts
will still be able to get excellent results out of it well after I
retire it from my use (my mother used a P3-600 desktop machine from
2000-2012 thanks to linux and some upgrades, until it finally died).

Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו