problems upgrading an Ubuntu EC2 node

Amit Aronovitch aronovitch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 23:55:08 IST 2016

Hi list,

I have an Ubuntu machine on EC2, which I have been trying to upgrade from
12.04 to 14.04 using the do-release-upgrade command.
This seemed to work well, but when it finally rebooted, it became
unreachable (shows 1/2 checks passed in the EC2 management console, does
not respond to ssh).
I repeated the process twice (restored from image, upgraded), with the same
results.
Also, when I try to attach the "upgraded" root disk image to a working node
as an extra disk, that node becomes unrestartable too (loses connectivity
if you try to restart it with this disk attached, but works OK if you
detach it).

Did anyone encounter such an issue before? Any idea how to solve this other
than installing a vanilla node from scratch and moving all the local
installations manually?

thanks,
    AA