How dynamic is the dynamic IP from ISPs ? (Bezeq Int + HOT)

Oleg Goldshmidt pub at goldshmidt.org
Mon Jun 13 21:43:19 IDT 2016

[I am with Hot, but not Bezeq Int. I don't believe it matters much.]

Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com> writes:

> So I was thinking on giving up the fixed IP and use some kind of
> Dynamic DNS scheme to be able to access my home computer. Will I still
> be able to do that?

No problem with any number of dynamic DNS providers. I use NoIP myself,
but there are lots more or less equivalent services.

> Will I still get a publicly routable IP or will that be already a NAT
> that I won't be access from outside?

No NAT in the context of your question. Whether the IP address will be
routable is another issue altogether. This is only tangential to your
query, but not completely unrelated, so if you are switching to dynamic
addresses here is a war story.

Some time ago my ISP changed my IP address, for reasons unknown, to one
from a different range and I found out that the new one was not routable
anywhere outside of Hot's local network. It proved absolutely impossible
to explain to "technical support" what I observed with black magic
incantations like traceroute etc. It was obvious to them that since when
I connected a computer directly to the modem everything worked (it
worked because DHCP gave the computer's MAC an IP address from the old,
working, range) the problem had to be with my wireless router, end of
ticket. So I gave up and spoofed the computer's MAC in the router to
fool the DHCP server to give me an address in the old, routable
range. So far so good, but if they change something else all bets will
be off.

As for when the address may change, I assume it may happen whenever the
DHCP lease expires (assuming direct DHCP, no dialer). In my experience,
the address stays the same for quite a long time, but I never use it,
just use dynamic DNS always.

Oleg Goldshmidt | pub at goldshmidt.org