Experience with USB 3.0 Port Replicators for laptops?

Omer Zak w1 at zak.co.il
Tue Nov 8 21:45:10 IST 2016

I am again planning to buy hardware, and am looking again for the
collective experience of the community with the hardware being
considered for purchase.

I have a Lenovo Y700 laptop, which was purchased less than a year ago.
It runs Linux (Debian Jessie) with backported kernel 4.7.8
(linux-image-4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, version 4.7.8-1~bpo8+1).

I would like to select an USB 3.0 Port Replicator for it and connect two
additional monitors (to have total of three monitors - laptop's own
monitor + two extra ones).

It was suggested that I'll buy ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock
(http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?hide_menu_area=true&GroupID=460&Code=4X10A06687).
It uses DisplayLink chips, which have Linux support for a while (see:
https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/displaylink-debian).

This port replicator can drive only one external monitor in addition to
the laptop's own monitor.

However, the ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock
(https://support.lenovo.com/il/en/documents/pd023761) supports two
external monitors.

Does anyone have experience with any of the above?
Are there other non-Lenovo USB 3.0 Port Replicators, which work with
Lenovo Y700?

Thanks,
--- Omer

--
What happens if one mixes together evolution with time travel to the
past?  See: http://www.zak.co.il/a/stuff/opinions/eng/evol_tm.html

I may be affiliated in any way.