[RBS] On boxes, recycling and creepy crawlies

Miriam Druyan miriam.druyan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 14:34:13 IDT 2009

In a rush of house cleaning completely unrelated to family coming in
to visit (tonight, gulp) I decided it was time to put in the machsan
the clothing my daughter grew out of a mere 12 months ago. Clearly, I
needed a box.

Brilliantly, I thought to scour the new development sites for recent
signs of people having moved in, also known as free boxes.
Brilliantly, said daughter and I soon found an empty box. Brilliantly,
I picked it up rather than my daughter, because there was a MASSIVE
HAIRY SPIDER OF DEATH INSIDE!!

Okay, so he was about four inches, and more dusty than hairy. Despite
much searching online, I can't ID what kind of spider he way, so not
too sure about the death bit either. I'm not sure there was any hair
involved anyway, but gee golly, it got my attention!

Quickly (and brilliantly), I told my daughter to stand on a bench lest
the spider suddenly grow a meter into the air and attack. After many
attempts, I shook the little, I mean, HUGE guy out of the box and
proceeded to miss stomping on him about four times before... crunch.
Well, smoosh. I did apologize for killing him, when he may have been
the bugwinner for his family, but I couldn't have him possibly hurting
people.

And therein lies my main comment. In these days of recycling and
harvesting items from the garbage, y'all best be on the lookout for
whoever got to the garbage first.

Oh, and don't take mattresses and couches out of the trash either, but
I'm sure I didn't need to tell you that.

Happy green hunting!

Miriam the Arachnid Slayer