[RBS] Smile (012) internet phone - a good idea?

Yitzchok & Hasha Lavi lavi at chardmore.net
Fri Jul 3 13:37:37 IDT 2009

If your internet connection is from HOT then you can directly compare
this to the cost of your Bezeq line.

But if you currently use ADSL and want to keep that, then comparing this
39 shekels with the 40-something you pay Bezeq for the line (OK, extra
for voicemail etc) is comparing apples with oranges.

Because your Bezeq phone line fee covers the infrastructure over which
your ADSL also works (what you pay Bezeq for ADSL is for the service
running over the line). To keep ADSL you can only afford to drop the
phone service. To have the line alone (they call it "kav neto" or
something like that) will cost you about 25 shekels a month. So your
savings by "dropping" Bezeq don't amount to as much as they might appear.

I believe that calls to these phones are considered land-lines and cost
the same as calls to Bezeq. (On this page the tariffs are for calls "to
Bezeq and any other land-line":
http://www02.bezeq.co.il/Telephony/Conversations/Pages/CallsGallery.aspx)

Yitzchok