[RBS] What those new recycling bins are really for!

Ephrayim Naiman ejnaiman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 23:00:32 IDT 2009

C'mon guys - just 'cause Zvi Wolicki isn't on the council doesn't mean stuff
he started in Chen doesn't continue !!

There are currently 16 such bins with *GREEN* opening flaps for recycling
plastic bottles.  They look the same as the new garbage bins being
installed - but those have *orange* flaps.  Area locations: 4 in Aleph, 3 in
Bet, 3 in Nachala U'menucha and 6 in BS/Givat Sharret

BS was fined NIS 400,000 (!) last year for not complying with recycling
laws.

When Zvi/CHEN was in office he was working on various recycling programs -
like the one he started for paper with Renee Halpert.  The next stage was
for plastic bottle recycling (with Renee?).  However, as many of you know -
our Iriya wasn't willing to use the standard cages - due to the child
fatality that occurred.  So the idea of using massive underground bins was
conceived.  Because this was "different" - it took longer to receive
approval - which it did last August - but only now is finally being
implemented.

These programs, in addition to reducing our penalties - also reduces our
garbage pickup costs!  The city pays for garbage removal based on weight &
volume.  The paper recycling bins reduce the weight and the bottle recycling
bins reduce the volume.  This will save us tens of thousands of shekel.

But, we are still woefully under-utilizing these programs.
So, now the challenge is for us to stuff them as quickly as possible! :-)

Kol Tuv,

-Ephrayim Naiman
ejnaiman at gmail.com

P.S. If you hear anyone else in the Iriya take credit for this initiative,
     you will now know the type of person s/he is - Ve'ha'mayvin Yavin!