[RBS] Bet Shemesh, Our Wonderful City, and RBS-Gimmel, as well as RBS-Alef

Catriel Lev clev at actcom.com
Sun Jul 19 14:13:33 IDT 2009

With all of the recent political decisions about new building in RBS-Gimmel, and the discussion of the pros and cons of those decisions, I want to remind us all of a very important detail which sometimes is forgotten along the way:

Bet Shemesh is a Great Place to Live!

No, I am not naïve. Those of you who know me, know that I work as hard as I can, with as many different groups as I can, to correct the problems which we have in Bet Shemesh; so I am well aware of what is wrong with Bet Shemesh.

However, there is also a lot which is RIGHT about Bet Shemesh: An atmosphere of helping each other out, a warm Anglo community which helps Olim become acclimated, wonderful Tzedakah and assistance organizations and groups, lots of people who are working to make Bet Shemesh an even better place to live and to correct problems resulting from all sorts of errors and mismanagement in the past, etc., etc., etc. ...

As we approach the development of RBS-Gimmel over the next 2-3 years which it will take to have the housing units functional, we can each do something to encourage good people to come to Bet Shemesh, both to existing housing in RBS-Alef and to the new housing in RBS-Gimmel: Tell our contacts (especially good people who are thinking of making Aliyah) about the great experiences we have in Bet Shemesh and how much we enjoy our lives here. Let's encourage people who will promote Ahavat Yisrael (including acceptance of Jews of different types) to make their homes in Bet Shemesh, and create a positive "domino effect" to help our city develop further in the positive direction of true Ahavat Yisrael; and not be frightened by the few who would want to dominate others and impose their own lifestyle on everyone who comes here.

I don't, even for a minute, suggest glossing over the problems; but every city has its problems! If we want more people here who will promote an open, pluralistic atmosphere full of true Ahavat Yisrael, we must also be ready to speak up for the good points of Bet Shemesh, especially when talking to contacts who might think of coming here to live. The problems are part of the story of Bet Shemesh, too; but there are many good people who have recognized the problems and are working hard to solve them (and that is another good point about the kind of people here in Bet Shemesh). Let us remember to present a truly balanced picture of Bet Shemesh, and then we can encourage many more good people to move here.

The more good people who move to Bet Shemesh, the better the atmosphere will be; and the more we will all benefit from the environment in our city. So it is time for all of us to be "ambassadors of good will", and to encourage good people to make their homes in Bet Shemesh. We will be helping our city become a better place to live by bringing more good people here; and this will also help Bet Shemesh become even more attractive to good people who may want to come here in the future. We have nothing to lose and a lot to gain!

כתריאל לב
רמת בית שמש א'
טלפון: 02-9914332
טל' נייד: 050-205-7867