[RBS] UPDATE! Meeting Our Community's Challenge?

David Morris david at lemaanachai.org
Thu Sep 17 12:17:57 IDT 2009

800,000 – Our Community's Challenge!
UPDATE: B"H, many members of our community have responded generously to this
appeal - some 170,000 NIS has been given so far!
That's a great start - tizku lemitzvot! 630,000 NIS to go!
YES WE CAN!
Please remember to give tzedaka before Rosh Hashana to Lema'an Achai!!

--------

The public does not yet appreciate that Lema'an Achai has been hit by
a double blow.

1. Due to the recession, job losses and financial hardship in Israel,
there has been a 32% increase this year in calls for help to Lema'an
Achai,

2. a. Due to the recession in the USA, Madoff etc, Lema'an Achai's
funding from our overseas donors has been severely reduced,.
   b. Meantime, due to the recession here in Israel, many local donors
are unable to support us as generously.

Given the critical situation at Lema'an Achai, and therefore the
crisis now facing impoverished members of the RBS community, we are
putting our own needs, and those of the families we support, on the
table.

In order to keep providing the same aid (food, payment of critical
bills) and continue the same services (helping families to solve
problems and return to independence) to the same number of
impoverished families as last year, we must raise 800,000 NIS
($200,000) during the next two months.

This money is for long-term commitments (to retraining courses,
therapy, food support, etc.) that we have made to and on behalf of our
families.

Any less than this, and we will have to cut back – shekel for shekel -
on the number of poor families we can help, and the critical help we
can give to each family.

Given the economic circumstances, we will consider 800,000 NIS – the
same that was raised for Lema'an Achai over the chagim last year – as
a victory for our community.

But this year we cannot rely on our brothers and sisters around the
world to help us support our local poor. With Jewish communities
suffering hardships around the world, we are no longer THEIR highest
priority.

This year, our local poor must be OUR community's highest priority.

Our Community's Challenge – 800,000 NIS – is achievable.

We call on every single member of our community, who is not requiring
charitable assistance from Lema'an Achai – to give generously right
now to Lema'an Achai for our local poor.

We will be reporting on progress, and hope to have good news as the
800,000 NIS target gets closer – G-d willing and with your generous
support.

--

Shanah Tova!
David & Avrohom

HOW TO GIVE
1. Via our secure website: www.SmartChesed.org
2. Checks by mail: Lerma'an Achai, 40/7 Nahal Lachish, 99093
3. 24/6 Phone Service: 02 99999.33
4. Israel, US, UK, Canada donations are Tax Deductible (see website for
details)
5. Phone/email for pick-up: 02 999.1553; avrohom at lemaanachai.org

David Morris,  R.Avrohom Leventhal
Chairman       Executive Director