[RBS] RBS Bad traffic accidents

M Teren teren at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 07:50:31 IDT 2010

We are all shocked in hearing about yesterday's traffic accident involving a school child crossing on a crosswalk and a truck.

I can't say I'm surprised.  Please see this blog post that I wrote in January on (lack of) traffic safety in Ramat / Bet Shemesh.
http://holyexposures.com/wordpress/2010/01/04/children-are-crossing-the-street-the-buses-keep-flying-by/

There, I proposed Five safety steps for every family:
Advice For Every Family
1. Review with your children the safety rules for  crossing the road.  Look both ways, look again, cross only at a crosswalk, cross with adults, etc…

2. Experts recommend for children 8 years old and younger to be crossed only by an adult.

3. Never, ever, cross diagonally.

4. If you see a bus or car coming, do not assume they will stop for you.  If you are already in the crosswalk and a bus is coming, run or walk very quickly to the other side of the street.

5. Tell your kids you love them and want them to come home safely.  Explain to them they’ve been given a big responsibility and should always be very careful.

Wishing a speedy and full recovery to the child, and for safe roads.

Moshe