[RBS] Fw: The Rye Bread of your youth

yamin and justine cohen justine at neto.net.il
Thu Aug 5 07:01:36 IDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Sheryl Saidel
To: justine at neto.net.il
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 11:04 PM
Subject: The Rye Bread of your youth

      We deliver to Ramat Bet Shemesh on a Friday. Orders may be picked up from Nachal Nachshon 6/18 between 13:30-15:00 at the Cohen Family. 02-9920559.

      How many of you Anglos out there yearn for that rye bread of your
      youth, the kind you used to be able to get in the "old country"?
      As a South African I fondly remember, as a special treat, my parents
      taking me and my brothers to Wachenheimers (a local deli) for hot beef
      on rye. Mmmmmmmm :)

      Being in Eretz Hakodesh certainly has its advantages, but to be sure
      it also has its sacrifices (remember Sundays anyone?) and one of the
      big ones for me was definitely not being able to find a decent rye
      bread anywhere in this country.

      One of the first things we did in our bakery was perfect the rye bread
      of my youth. We call it New York Rye, because interestingly enough,
      the same style rye eaten by the South African Lithuanian Jewry was
      also eaten over the sea by the Polish, Lithuanian and Russian
      immigrants that fled to the US and England from Europe.

      What makes our New York Rye the "real thing"? Firstly it has the
      correct ratio of rye, white and whole wheat flours. The formula was
      obtained from a reliable source and is THE correct formula for what we
      all know as rye bread. Secondly, it uses wild sourdough yeast to
      ferment the dough. This is what gives the added dimension of flavour
      that is missing in all the regular Israeli ryes. Finally it has
      exactly the right ratio of caraway seeds - this ratio is also a
      closely guarded secret.

      Anyone can mix at home a dough with rye, white, whole wheat flour,
      caraway seeds and perhaps even sourdough, but unless you have the
      correct ratios and the exact formula - it simply will not be the real
      thing. Trial and error just doesn't work for this bread.

      Our New York Rye has already passed the taste-test by hundreds of the
      fussiest New Yorkers, Jo'burgers and Manchurians (amongst others), so
      you know you are getting the REAL thing.

      Order one today! and try for yourselves at www.saidels.com

      We also make a similarly authentic Russian Rye, called Borodinsky (ask
      your Russian neighbours what that is). It is commonly known as Black
      Russian Rye and has an intoxicating aroma of coriander seeds. Our
      research took us all the way to a Moscovite bakery to obtain the
      correct formula for that one.

      All our breads, challahs, bagels, bialys, pies and confectionery have
      the same amount of research invested, attention to detail and
      perfectionism as the New York and Black Russian Ryes. This is apparent
      in the home-made, authentic quality of all our products. Our bagels
      are boiled then baked, our Bialys are just as good (if not better than
      Kossars), our Apple Pie is the real thing, just like grandma used to
      make and our challahs are a fitting complement to the mizbe'ach that
      is your Shabbat table.

      If you haven't yet tried our products, give us a try - you don't know
      what you have been missing until now!

      Our bakery is Kasher lemehadrin under the Karnei Shomron Rabbinate and
      all ingredients used are badatz.

      Look out for our feature article in this month's Telfed magazine with
      an in depth review of our bakery and an interview with chief baker Les
      Saidel.

      You may also read more details about our unique bakery and
      process on our website www.saidels.com

      Shabbat Shalom
      Les and Sheryl Saidel
      Saidels Bakery - "baked with love"