[RBS] teen books at Meyerhoff's Benjamin Library

Jennifer Bloom jbloom at accepted.com
Wed Aug 25 13:51:48 IDT 2010

My 15-year-old daughter lamented the small selection of teen reading at the
Benjamin Library (please don't take this as an insult to the amazing staff
and offerings of the library!), so we asked our Rav if she could use her
ma'aser money to purchase new books and donate them to Benjamin Library. He
paskened that this was an acceptable use of her ma'aser funds, and my
daughter has proudly begun purchasing teen fiction books for donation.

If every teen girl who babysat put aside one-tenth toward purchasing books
of teen interest and each babysat enough to earn 60 shekels a week (going
rates of 15 shekels an hour, means 4 hours a week), then each teen could buy
a new teen fiction book in about 10 weeks. Think of the stock of
teen-appropriate novels we could have! My daughter feels great pride in her
contribution (when she brought in The Book of Tomorrow the other day, she
overheard a few people immediately wanting to borrow it), and I thought it
was a good enough idea to share.

Happy teen reading!

Jennifer Bloom