[RBS] "If you don't like what is being said, change the conversation." Don Draper, Mad Men

Ellen Segal ellensegal at netvision.net.il
Sun Dec 5 21:23:28 IST 2010

"If you don't like what is being said, change the conversation."

Don Draper, Mad Men

Do you have conversations in your head about what you should be doing?

"I should call my mother-in-law," "I should rotate my tires," "I should
clean my closet."

How do you feel when you hear those "should's"?

Exhausted? Like you want to catch the first bus out of town?

Take Don Draper's advice:

 "If you don't like what is being said, change the conversation."

How?

Ask yourself where the "should" comes from. Have you consciously or
unconsciously burdened yourself with someone else's expectations or rules
that aren't your own? Pause for a moment, take a deep breath and think about
whether this particular "should" is important to you. How does it align
itself with your personal value system? You have a choice. Is it something
you want to do?

If so, substitute the word "want" for "should," and see what happens.

Say aloud: "I should take a walk." How do you feel?

Now say: "I want to take a walk." How do you feel now?

When you change the conversation from "I should" to "I want" you re-claim
leadership of your own life. You have the power to decide what you do based
on what is important to you and what you want to do-not on a "should" you
picked up from someone else.

And, you are much more likely to do something you want to do than something
you should do.

For more mini-articles about coaching please see the "Yes, You Can!
Coaching" Facebook page

Do you want to re-claim leadership of your own life? E-mail or call:

Ellen Segal, Certified Life Coach

"Yes, You Can! Coaching"

Because the power you seek is within you

ellen at ellensegal-lifecoach.com

02-999-3110