[RBS] Why It's Still a Dry Winter

David Morris david at lemaanachai.org
Fri Feb 5 13:15:21 IST 2010

B"H the heavens have opened, the rain is here, and the Kinneret is rising.

Over at Lema'an Achai, the phones continue to ring, as local families
face the biting poverty of the two-years old recession in Israel.

Families who were poor previously, are in a worse situation that they
were, because basic commodity prices and the cost of utilities have
gone up (water by 50%!!), while Government benefits and employment
opportunities have both gone down.

And the phenomenon of middle-class families calling Lema'an Achai for
help, has gone from being an exception, to now become a regular
occurrence.

People who used to be generous donors, and whose neighbors and friends
consider to be financially well-established, have become unemployed or
under-employed, indebted, and without back-up from their families who
have themselves been hit by the international financial downturn. For
these struggling families to cut their cost, and seek out
supplementary sources of revenue, is in many ways no less traumatic
than any other families suffering the effects of poverty.

Lema'an Achai has even established a new concept in community
assistance to help these nouveau poor and struggling middle class
families - "Community Consultants".

"Community Consultants" is our team of professional Financial
Counsellors, Employment/Career Consultants, Get-Your-Rights Experts
(including both the intricacies of National Insurance and
Employer/Employee regulations) . Our "Smart Chesed" experts have
developed innovative methods and solutions, and have gained
unparalleled experience in helping local families over the past ten
years of Lema'an Achai. All this expertise is now available on a
subsidized consultancy basis for ALL MEMBERS OF OUR COMMUNITY. Call
9991553, and ask for Motti for details.

Lema'an Achai's services, which are the jewel in the crown of Ramat
Bet Shemesh, have no equal or equivalent in any other community in
Israel; Lema'an Achai has been accoladed in 2009 by Israel's Minister
of Welfare Isaak Herzog and invited to participate in proposing
changes in national policy regarding poverty.

Lema'an Achai's highly professional services are critical for the
wherewithal of our whole community

And yet, the one phone which is quiet at Lema'an Achai is the donations line.

Lema'an Achai receives no government funding (which we are fighting to
change!) and is totally reliant upon balei-batim, regular households,
to continue helping local families in poverty.

Of course donors are especially generous at the giving-seasons, such
as Purim, Pessach and the Yamim Noraim, and of course we account for
these cyclical ups-and-downs in preparing our annual budget - which
strive to give everyone who needs our help reliable 24/6 service, and
regular dependable assistance throughout the year.

But the actual donations right now are a shocking 47% lower than
projected and budgeted. That means we have shortfall this past month
(for example) of over 80,000 NIS.

I know you plan to give generously to Lema'an Achai come Purim and
Pessach. And, on behalf of the families we help, we are sincerely
appreciative of that critical support.
But please, please don't forget that the poor and distressed have
constant and desperate needs throughout the year.

You can give now securely on-line at https://www.lemaanachai.org/donations.aspx
Please consider making your donations monthly, throughout 2010 -
either by credit card, or with a direct debit arrangement (we will
deal with the banks for you):
https://lemaanachai.org/lemaanachai-horat-keva.pdf
Or mail your tax-refundable donations (in Israel, USA, UK and Canada)
to Lema'an Achai, 40/7 Nahal Lachish, Ramat Bet Shemesh 99093.

Yes - B"H it's raining outside.

But the communal pot is going dry.

--
Tizku Lemitzvot,
David & R.Avrohom

P.S. Please feel free to pass this email on to your friends, family
who may be interested to help Lema'an Achai's incredible "Smart
Chesed" programs for combating poverty, and for getting families out
of the cycle of poverty.

David Morris and Rav Avrohom Leventhal
Chairman            Executive Director

Lema'an Achai - It's All About Caring