[RBS] Citizen's Environmental Group

Renee Halpert reneeh at netvision.net.il
Tue Feb 23 14:40:36 IST 2010

To all residents of R/BS!

Over the past 2 years, Shemesh Yehuda, the regional environmental group, has
successfully been building a grassroots environmental network of Beit
Shemesh and Mateh Yehuda residents.

Projects include:
* increasing environmental awareness of decision-makers & residents
* community-based programs (recycling, 2nd hand "shuk", composting,
clean-ups, courses & workshops)
* working with the Municipality & Moetza on policy
* connecting activists and projects
* representing local interests at the Knesset & Regional Planning Council
* representing our region at national environmental conferences and in
national green orgs.
* legal action (if necessary) re: environmental damage
* Website for sharing of ideas & local information

Yesterday, for example, we presented at the Joint Committee for Health and
the Environment at the Knesset, on the issue of the proposed Nesher factory
expansion.

In the coming weeks, we will b"h become an official Amuta. We need as many
local residents as possible to become members (no charge, for now).

I encourage anyone who is interested in environmental issues to join Shemesh
Yehuda. Every voice counts.

Please reply to this email, or contact me at: 0523506592

Renee Halpert
Coordinator, Forum Shemesh Yehuda
02-999-2208
0523506592