[RBS] Lema'an Achai Faces Crisis

David Morris david at lemaanachai.org
Mon Jul 26 16:22:03 IDT 2010

Lema'an Achai does not cry "Wolf".

Unfortunately, when Lema'an Achai has troubles, the most needy members
of our community pay a terrible price.

Two years ago, when the stock markets crashed around the world, and an
international economic crisis of then-unknown proportions shook every
community and household around the world - Lema'an Achai's cash-flow
projections suddenly became unrealistic. We faced the choice of making
deep cuts in the number of impoverished families we help, or...well..
asking you for help.

We publicly explained the situation, and our supporters made
incredible and selfless efforts to help us through that dark period.

We have not made any emergency appeals since then.

Although the economic crisis is beyond that grim shock-point two years
ago, it has continued to impact us.

Many local families who were entirely self-sufficient, have taken a
severe blow. Unemployment, difficulties obtaining payments, spiraling
debt, have hit the managing-ok-classes.
Lema'an Achai therefore has more families calling for help than ever before.
And many of the families now needing help, were once donors.

Friends, here's where we stand...

Lema'an Achai is 'leaking' at between 10-20% each month.
Which is to say, our approved 2010 budget has been leaping ahead of
our actual fundraising/revenue.
Lema'an Achai has squirreled away a small reserve - which is now
largely used up.

We are now faced with heart-wrenching decisions.

What to cut?

Every single family which receives help from Lem'an Achai desperately
needs it. They are usually earning just 10% BELOW the (already
dismally low) Israeli poverty line. These families lack food, clothes,
utilities and shelter. They often have other multifaceted problems,
for which Lema'an Achai is their one-stop-shop giving support and
solutions.

Lema'an Achai is not solely in the hand-out business; our
comprehensive aid and services includes long term planning with
families. Fifty-nine families are currently participating in courses
to up-grade their employment and earnings potential. Many other
families are receiving critical therapy and financial & business
development counseling, which cannot be simply stopped mid-way.

With one hundred and eighty families (over A THOUSAND local residents)
currently obtaining our aid and unique Smart-Chesed support from
Lema'an Achai - and more requests coming through weekly - we now need
to tell around 30 families (nearly two hundred residents) that,
tragically, we cannot help them any further. No supplies of food, or
assistance with utilities and other critical bills; and no more
support to get through today's crisis or planning to avoid tomorrow's
crisis.

No Help - and no Hope.

Before we do that, we are making this last-ditch appeal for your help.

We know that you already give generously to many wonderful causes.

We are asking that you now do even more.

Here's how:-

1. Buy some raffle tickets. For details: www.SmartChesed.org. (There,
that was easy).

2. Take a deep breath, and make an exceptional one-time generous
donation, to help us over this hump.

3. Sign up for a regular commitment. You know your projected earnings,
Be"H, and can already calculate your ongoing maaser kesafim
obligations.
So, please make a horaat kevah or credit card ongoing commitment to
Lema'an Achai.

4. Sponsor a Lema'an Achai program - we have almost 30 innovative
programs, and several of these are still available to be named after a
special person, in their honor or in their memory. Who do you know who
merits the honor of an ongoing chesed program, in their name?

5. Any other ideas?! If you could help with fundraising ventures,
please step forward. We have some great ideas, and I'm sure you do
too. We need people to step up to the plate, and help implement these
plans, hands-on.

Click on this link to make a donation (or ongoing commitment) now:
https://lemaanachai.org/donations.aspx
Call our 24/6 Donations Line: 02-99999.33
Or send your check to: Lema'an Achai, 40/7 Nahal Lachish, Ramat Bet
Shemesh, 99093, Israel.

You are welcome to send this on, with your personal recommendations,
to your friends and family members, who could be interested to support
Lema'an Achai, "the Jewel in the Crown of Ramat Bet Shemesh".

Tizku Lemitzvot,
David & Avrohom

David Morris   Rabbi Avrohom Leventhal
Chairman       Executive Director