[RBS] In Kashrut, Not Everything is the Way it Seems

Jo's Club josclub at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 10:56:46 IDT 2010

Someone asked on a local email list today:

"I need to know what exact hechshers the various cafes around BIG have,
specifically Aroma, Cafe Cafe and Cafe Neeman. I am planning to meet someone
who will only eat in a place that has an "Ashkenazi Mehadrin" hashgacha."

Now, see this, from a recent "Jerusalem Kosher News" report:

---
A Word Regarding Food at the IKEA Netanya Branch:

Despite the fact that there is a sign put up by IKEA saying that the
restaurant is mehadrin, there is a regular hechsher from the Netanya
Rabbinate...

...whereas in the past the meat dishes were either using meat/poultry
products from the schita of Rav Machpud (Yoreh Deah) or Rav Rubin, as of
"about two weeks ago", per the mashgiach, everything is now Beit Yosef
schita [not the Beit Yosef Badatz agency hechsher]...

This is not intended to reflect a change in standard, higher or lower, but
rather to inform readers of the change in schita regarding meat/poultry
products used at the facility...

Remember, one should always confirm a hechsher by seeking out a valid
certificate before ordering as changes do occur.
----

The head of Jerusalem Kosher News, R' Yechiel Spira, is speaking, in
English, on the topic of:

BE AN EDUCATED KOSHER SHOPPER AND DINER

July 4th
10:30 AM Women
8:45 PM Men and women (with mechitza)

Suggested donation: 10 NIS

At BTYA, corner of Nachal Refaim and Nachal Luz in RBS A.