[RBS] Update on the Cell Antennas

remove antennas removeantennas at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 22:16:29 IST 2010

*Update on the fight against the cellular antennas on the roof of Park
Center: *

*On the local front: *

1. The residents’ committee had two good, productive meetings recently with
Mordechai Direnfeld, the city councilor in charge of the environment. He
supports us and our cause.

2. We have been in touch with rabbis in the neighborhood, and they support
our cause (on the grounds of *pikuach nefesh *and *din mazik*).

3. After a great deal of correspondence with the person in charge of
radiation in the Environment Ministry, we were informed that at the moment
the Mirs antenna is not in use and an order has been issued to remove it.

The Ministry is discussing the other antennas from a legal standpoint. It
should be noted that because the city’s objections were not filed in time,
the antennas are likely to be approved retroactively.

4. Bear in mind that the struggle is not evenly balanced. The cell phone
companies are fighting us with a battery of first-rate lawyers.

Consequently, we are preparing for a community-wide fundraising campaign to
finance legal action that has a very good chance of getting rid of the
antennas. We have already spent thousands of shekels out of our own pockets.
Please help us. When many people contribute, the cost per person is low and
the entire neighborhood benefits.

5. The owner of the roof wants to rent out his third-floor store (next to
the dental clinic). We recommend that no one take it. Don’t provide
financial support to someone who is harming us!!! Updates to follow.

6. We urge city hall to do all it can to help us. We call on the mayor to
make his voice heard. We have asked to meet with him several times, but to
no avail. Remember that the mayor made a personal commitment to the
well-being of the neighborhood and its residents in an election poster in
the RBS-A shopping center. We are now asking him to keep his word. At the
very least, after we’ve been pursuing our cause for six months, we expect
him to come and see with his own eyes how dangerously close the antennas are
to Timna 16.

7. We are working on a draft of bylaws for house committees (*va’ad bayit*)
that would prevent the erection of antennas on the roof of your building.
House committees should contact us about this.

8. Unfortunately, the local court ruled in favor of Cellcom regarding its
use of storerooms in the mall. We are studying the decision.

*Meanwhile, there has been an important development on the national level: *

The High Court of Justice has banned cell phone companies from setting up
any more small cellular antennas (which do not require building permits)
until permanent regulations go into effect. The ruling, in which the Court
accepted the Attorney General’s stance on the matter, was handed down in
response to petitions by the Center for Local Government, the Herzliya
municipality, and the Forum for Sane Cellular Usage (congratulations to
Roger). See the article (in Hebrew) from Sept. 16:
http://www.globes.co.il/news/article.aspx?did=1000589006&nl=2

On the Attorney General’s position on the placement of these antennas, see
http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3954640,00.html (in Hebrew) or
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/business/a-g-stop-installing-cellular-antennas-without-permits-1.314071(in
English).

May we all have a good, healthy, safe year.
--
The Vaad for the Removal of The Antennas

Eli, Shoshanna, Fanny, Meirav, Chai, Paz, Eyal & more

www.removeantennas.blogspot.com