[RBS] Seeking: info an update on the Jerusalem Light Rail

Benjamin Baruch mbzbaruch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:41:05 IDT 2011

Chodesh Tov!
August is Here!
Does anyone out there who reads this list & travels to Yerushalayim
regularly know if the Lightrail in Jerusalem in operation yet?
When I left Israel about a month ago, the claim going around was that "the
lightrail" will conclude testing & begin to accept customers in August 2011
According to their website http://www.citypass.co.il/startHomeE.html the
ticketing system will be similar to what the superbus is = a Rav Kav / Smart
Card (not paper bus tickets)

"The ticket system for the light rail system will be based mainly on a smart
card that can be activated by passengers. The smart card will belong to each
individual passenger and will also be valid on the ticketing systems of
other public transport operators.

 Tickets will be issued at special service centers, and can be activated in
automated machines at the stations"

If anyone sees any of these "special service centers" around, please let me
know of the location, hours, & possibly the price as well as I am out of the
country still for another 25 days & wish to return with at least a clue to
where it is.

One more thing: if there are maps of the routes and stops, a schedule & a
list of egged lines which have been terminated / replaced by the lightrail,
let me know of that too please if it's not to hard to recall.

Thanks a lot

I read that one of them is in one of the rooms in Center 1 on Shazar BLVD in
the same building of the Binyanei HaUma halls which has a ramp with posters
on both sides which may make one feel like your in the airport (that is
until one looks out the window)