[RBS] Is it sinat hinam?

Phil'n'Chanie Rosenfelder philnchanie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 15:14:10 IDT 2011

In golus, or at least the part of golus I com e from, even when an
area is almost exclusively Jewish, no one would dare to expect that
teh city would "hand over" a public school building to a private
school.  Why?  Because public school buildings are built with tax
money to serve the general population, and anyone who wants a private
education , that will not accept everyone, has to fund it themselves.
Even if all the parents of the private school students pay their taxes
in full.
And no Jews would condone a Jew breaking into a public school building
and destroying things in order to "scare out" the public school body,
or spray painting on the school or its signs..  It would be so
obviously  a Hillul Hashem.

Sinat Hinam is baseless hatred.  No reason for it - just the feeling
that "anyone who isn't part of my group doesn't deserve to be here".
But does that mean that one should forgo one's legal rights in order
to never argue with a fellow Jew?  I doubt it.  When there are real
issues, even if it doesn't reach into my personal pocket, i have an
obligation to think clearly - what is the right derech?   And when we
arecertain that we are correct, it is assur to stand silently by the
side.

Not everyone that i disagree with is totally wrong, but I cannot
condone those who are totally wrong - legally and halachically.  We
are obligated to protest.