[RBS] parking lot politics?

Rivka Radonsky SLP radonski at bezeqint.net
Wed Feb 9 13:21:34 IST 2011

I am confused about the legalities of parking in other people's parking
lots. I've lived in 2 different apartments in the Ramah, and the parking
spaces were always hefker. Of course we always had our preferred spot. but
never thought of doing anything about it if someone else parked there, even
if they did not belong to the building.

Twice in the last few months, I have parked in one of the empty spaces in a
building's parking lot while going to an appointment or visiting a friend
in that building. I have returned to my car to find a car parked across my
exit, blocking my way out. After searching around, I would discover an irate
building tenant who claimed I was in "their" parking space, and they had
deliberately blocked me in, just to make their point (or to inconvenience me
as I had inconvenienced them). This happened even when there were plenty
other spaces available in the lot.

So I'd like to know, do we really own a space in the lot we live in? What if
someone has 2 cars? If someone has no car does that mean they can actually
sell the space or put a keter shed there? How is it decided to whom in each
building a space belongs to? Is it written in the irya building plans? I'm
not talking about closed in garage spaces, just open spaces like at the
shopping centre parking lot. Also, if someone has a garage space and chooses
to close it in as an office, do they have a right to a regular parking space
as well or has he forfeited his rights to parking in the lot, to be
relegated to the street parking spaces?

Looking for enlightenment!

RIvka