[RBS] Fw: Brix value

yamin and justine cohen justine at neto.net.il
Mon Jan 24 12:23:35 IST 2011

Please forward this email to Naomi Harlow - you didn't include her email address in your message here to me, so I can't send it to her directly.

The international unit Brix is a measure of sweetness, or more technically it is the ratio of sucrose to an aqueous solution. For example one degree Brix refers to 1 gram of sucrose in 100 grams of liquid. There are simple, hand operated Brix meters for determining the Brix value. You simply drop a drop of liquid (or juice) of the fruit being measured on the detector and it displays the Brix reading.

I guess if you wanted to check the sweetness by rule of thumb, you could simply taste the fruit yourself and make instinctive alterations in the recipe, but when you are a professional bakery and need to keep your products consistent, you need a more reliable method of measuring the sweetness value of the fruit and adjusting the formula accordingly.

Les Saidel

In recipe B it says sweetness (BRIX value). I'm
curious, what exactly is BRIX VALUE?   ~ Naomi ~

Saidels Bakery - "baked with love" http://saidels.com Tel: 09-7941222 Fax: 09-7920676 Email: shezles at saidels.com