[RBS] "Magen": Public Service Announcement

Magen magenprotects at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:04:16 IDT 2011

Magen is the Bet Shemesh child protection organization.

We have reason to be concerned that the summer months present particular
opportunities for predators operating in our neighborhoods.

Please discuss this openly and calmly with your children - this applies
equally to both your girls and boys (according to statistics in Jerusalem,
victims of child abuse are 50/50 boys/girls).

1. Explain to them about "stranger danger" - in particular if someone who
they don't know, whether a male adult or a teenager, whether frum or not,
who asks them for a favor, such as helping to find or move something, or
asking for directions...encourage your kids to feel confident enough to say
loudly and clearly "NO! Please ask an adult!", and get away quickly from
them.

2. Also explain about good-touch-bad-touch rules - that no-one is allowed to
touch kids where their swimming costume goes (except their mum, or a doctor
when their parents are there). If *anyone* else, even family or friends, or
teachers, or whoever, who tries to touch them in a way that makes them feel
uncomfortable, the child should say (or shout) "NO! Please don't touch me!"
and get away. They must then tell their parents what happened. [Note for
parents: 80% of child abusers are previously known to their victims].

3. Most children never tell ANYONE they have been molested.  So always make
a point of sitting down with your child and listen carefully to what's going
on and what they tell you. Never shout them down. If they tell you something
you'd prefer not to have heard ("I got caught cheating"), start by saying
"thank you for telling me..", and assure them you're on-their-side, before
you quietly explain why it upsets you. That way, they will know they can
confide in you, even bad stuff. Also, explain that there's no such thing as
a secret that you can't tell your mum (if someone says - "don't tell your
parents", then they really MUST tell their parents!).

4. Perhaps because we feel our neighborhood is so safe, many families
delegate supervision over their children, to other young children. This is
unfair to the child 'supervisor', and unsafe for the kids. Parents, there
are real risks, even on our streets, and supervising your children over the
summer break is *your* responsibility!

Magen wishes the whole community a fun and safe summer!

--

Best Regards,

Magen

Magen - Protecting Our Kids

New Magen "Hotline" Service: 052-765.2929

Sunday thru Thursday - 9am-12am; 8-11pm

Fridays - 9am-12am

Motsei Shabbos - till Midnight

Email: MagenProtects at gmail.com