[RBS] Gilad Shalit Solidarity Event; Tuesday, the 15th of March, at 11 AM

Catriel Lev clev at actcom.com
Wed Mar 9 13:18:03 IST 2011

The main symbolic action proposed for this event is to stop whatever we are doing at 11 AM on Tuesday, 15/3/11 (the Ninth of Adar Sheni), and to go outside for 5 minutes to show solidarity with Gilad. The organizers suggest stopping traffic, if possible, at the nearest intersection in a careful manner (they emphasize taking care in a flier that I have seen; so this is not a group of wild-eyed crazies) for 5 minutes.

The original initiator of these activities is an Israeli named Kobi Sidi, who requests that people who are able to distribute fliers/posters about this Gilad Shalit solidarity event contact him at 050-222-2622.

This morning when I spoke to Kobi Sidi (050-222-2622) the initiator of this entire Solidarity Event, I asked him the BIG question: Is the aim of this Event to demonstrate against the government and to pressure it to accede to Hamas demands, or is the aim to express solidarity with Gilad and to ensure that he is not forgotten? Kobi answered me that the sole aim is to express solidarity with Gilad and to ensure that he is not forgotten. He said that this event does not aim to tell the government HOW to free Gilad, but just to ensure that his situation doesn't fade from the public awareness, and also said that the Police have been informed of this five minute possible traffic stoppage. He said that another idea which he had was a similar solidarity event for Jonathan Pollard.

Anyone who wishes to discuss the different aspects (including possible controversial ones) of this event or its possible political effect, is requested to do so OFFLINE (NOT on the lists), and may also see what I posted about this on my blog:
http://vehashalomvehaemmet.blogspot.com/2011/03/gilad-shalit-solidarity-event-he-has.html

Catriel Lev
Nachal Katlav 9/5
Ramat Bet Shemesh, Israel