[RBS] Buyer Beware - "Hadash" Quaker squares on market

Phil'n'Chanie Rosenfelder philnchanie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 07:44:29 IST 2011

In the past few days (weeks?) the importer of quaker squares, ( which
usually have the ishur of the rabbanut and no problem of hadash) - has begun
to distribute a batch of the cinnamon flavour (red box) with a different
"creative" marking.
They presently do not mention the rabbanut, nor the word kosher, nor "lelo
hashash hadash" - but instead have a text along the lines of

               Halavi OU, behashgahat ubeishur OU - Hashash Hadash until 23
Nisan.

(The best before date certainly implies a late enough date to be a Hadash
issue)

in other words, it is saying it is probably hadash (certainly hadash?), and
they are not claiming the ishur kashrut of the Rabbanut (which would not
approve such things, as the Rabbanut considers Hadash an issur d'oraita
worldwide) - nor actually saying Kosher (which they cannot by law if there
is no ishur of the Rabbabut)

The blue boxes we have are still kosher, with ishur harabbanut, lelo hashash
hadash - but what is on the store shelves I do not know.

The problem red ones were at the Supersol Big, and presumably are in other
stores too.

We alerted the Rabbanut to this yesterday, but I imagine it may take a few
days until the questionable non-approved quaker squares are pulled from the
shelves.

feel free to call this to the attention of a shop where you see such things
- and tell them they can contact the rabbanut for clarification if they
wish.