[RBS] Fwd: training for sayeret horim

Phil'n'Chanie Rosenfelder philnchanie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:57:45 IST 2011

First of all, i want to set the record  straight, for those who are
nervous about joining the sayeret.

when you do sayeret horim, you are in group fop 3-5 people, all caring
adults, just like yourself.  you can do it with your spouse,it sis a
great bonding experience

you walk around the neighbourhood together, as a group, wearing these
cool shirts (okay, i hate the colour and style) and look around.

you might see something that you want to report , but that is highly unlikely.

more likely is that kids will walk over to you and say, "hey! Cool
shirt! So, you're the sayeret horim?" and you say, "yes, my name is
......, what's your name"  some of them will say silly things like
"moshe abutbul" , but most of them will answer you respectfully.

then, you'll ask them "where do you go to school? do you like it?"
  Most will tell you about school, cutting each other off , vying for
your attention (sounds like home, right?  that's why it is called
"PARENTS patrol"). Some of them will say that they dropped out of
school, and work now at various local shops.  One or two might say
that they aren't in school and they don't have  a job.   You might try
to talk to them in private afterwards, or offer them a phone number to
call (more details on that in the course) , and you may take down
their name and ask if it is okay with them if you give their name to a
social worker who can help them find school or job.  You WILL respect
their wishes.

You'll ask them a few more questions, or tell them that you hated
school (or liked school) and talk about favourite subjects, hobbies,
chagim, the colour of your car, what make of cellphone they have...

and while you are shooting the breeze , you are ALSO benefitting the
entire community by:

- showing a child (or two or ten) that they are worth time and attention

- making them feel safe, cuz deep down, every kid wants to know that
soem big bad guy  isn't gonna come out of the park and hurt them

- keeping an eye out for druggies

- keeping an eye out for fights

- keeping an eye out for loners, kids who have no friends, who might
need your attention and possibly even professional attention

- modeling decent adult behaviour

- ocassiobnally pointing out little things to whoever will listen,
such as telling your neighbour's daughter to keep her hands to herself
instead of hugging all her male friends....

FAQ:
1.  I don't talk hebrew.  how can i help?
Half these kids speak english.   And even those who don't , they want
to talk more than listen  , so just learn a few basic phrases and
questions, and consider this to be a your ulpan.

2.  I have enough trouble communicating with my own teenagers at home.
 Why would these kids want to talk to me?
Because they aren't your own kids.  They don't have to do anything for
you, they don't even know you.  You are an audience, and they get to
be centre stage.  They love it.

3.  How big of a commitment is it?
Three hours , once a month.

4.  Can I do it with friends?
Yes, you choose when to do it, so you can sign up for a slot with friends.

5.  What if I dont; know what to do?
You don't yet know what to do, that's why you go for training/  Also,
every "group" will have someone experienced in it

6.  Do we get professional training?
YES, and the details of the next training session are in the Hebrew below: