[RBS] two steps forward, one step back

Phil'n'Chanie Rosenfelder philnchanie at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 09:36:53 IDT 2011

BH we have our country, but nothing is perfect (reread all our  neviim , or
even the story of the eigel right after ma'amad har sinai - it ain't just
our generation)

this week, on the 8th of Ellul, some people are fasting, many
are learning Torah , marking the date on which, 6 short years ago, the army
completed its pullout from Hevel Azza and the Arabs showed their  desire for
peace by burning the shul buildings that were left

If one can take on the fast, one does so at minha on Tuesday

in  any case, discuss the day with your children / students

read the neviim who discuss the types of issues that lead to losing
sovereignty over (parts of) Eretz Yisrael (inui din, eifa v'eifa, etc), and
discuss how we each have an obligation to try to improve ourselves and our
government in these areas

but don't forget to discuss that two steps forward is often followed by one
step back, and that as bad as it is , it isn't the end of the world - Am
Hanetzah lo mefahed miderech aruka