[RBS] JFS BULLETIN BOARD: December 23, 2012

JFS office at jfsisrael.org
Sat Dec 22 20:12:40 IST 2012

*Welcome all...

These are exciting times!  Enjoy this entire edition of our Bulletin
Board, and email / call with any questions or needs.  And of course, as
always, we are ready to help you with caring and comfortable counseling,
and therapies that work, B"H.

*****THE CARE AND FEEDING OF THE BRAIN:

Incredible yet this is true headline Science!  Try to imagine the impact
of this achievement in Brain Neuroscience --

/Woman with quadriplegia feeds herself chocolate using
***mind-controlled*** robot arm
Reaching out to "high five" someone, grasping and moving objects of
different shapes and sizes, feeding herself dark chocolate. For Jan
Scheuermann and a team of researchers, accomplishing these seemingly
ordinary tasks demonstrated for the first time that a person with
longstanding quadriplegia can maneuver a mind-controlled, human-like
robot arm in seven dimensions (7D) to consistently perform many of the
natural and complex motions of everyday life./**/
/
Incredible, isn't it?  Please remember that we offer Neurotherapy based
on the same technologies, right here at JFS!  The uses for such brain
utilization range from mental and emotional disorders, to emotional self
regulation, to building an attention span at school, and more.  Don't
miss this rapidly progressing approach.  Learn first, to relax under
pressure of daily life -- call us.
**

*****SPOTLIGHT ON OUR CLINICAL TOPIC OF THE MONTH:

Internet.  Social Media.  Necessary to modern living, and yet few things
can be as damaging if not utilized with vigilance and care!  Marriages
are breaking up.  Children are growing up in a world of "friends" who
they don't even know and who can be dangerous to the way you want them
keeping safe.  And maybe the most widespread of all is the new
time-management wrecking aspects of the internet us in our  lives.

Are we playing with our kids?
Are we enjoying quality talking time?
What about playing games from checkers to chess?
A reading hour?
A hike in the afternoon to clear the head after school?

Come on, face the very scary truth:  we are allowing a "guest" in our
homes and lives to simply take priority and numb us to the real life
family experiences we should be finding the time and energy for!

And it takes but a few experiences in "social media" to feel as if we
simply must be on the "inside" of the (nebulous and non-existent) social
circle.  So what do we do?  We check.  More and more often.  Facebook.
Twitter.  Even Linkedin.  We learn whether we are popular?  We learn
what we "should" be thinking in order to be cool?  We need this
mechanism to fill a hole in our lives?  No, we do not.  But before very
long, the addiction pattern sets in, strengthens, and then becomes our
new definition of "normal".

But it is not normal.  It is damaging.

CALL FOR HELP in breaking habits in your family, now.  We will be
offering classes, support groups, and individual sessions to address
this issue that so many families wrestle with.  Please don't overlook it.

*****OUR CLASSES AND GROUPS WITH CURRENT OPENINGS:

Ladies, please read this!  Join us!  We launched the current season of
our Women's Group last week, and not all of you who signed up,
attended.  Those who did, enjoyed a warm beginning to a very kind group,
where we started to get to know each other, and dug right in with
concern for each other's well being.  This group is going to be amazing
-- already is -- so hit reply or give us a call if you want to come and
be with us.  EVEN THOUGH IT IS DARK, AND COLD OUTSIDE, AND A BIT DREARY,
PLEASE JOIN US, BECAUSE IN ANOTHER WEEK OR TWO WE WILL BE A VERY SPECIAL
GROUP OF REGULAR LADIES WHO ARE LOOKING FOR CONTACT, CONNECTION, AND
SUPPORT AT TIMES TOO!

We welcome you all to learn about your particular needs and how our team
might fill them.  Each of us who works here is warm hearted and
insightful, and we can do "repairs" to your situations, or we can do
insight, or many other things you might benefit from.  And our tool belt
never runs dry.

You deserve top level help and assistance.  B"H.

*

--
Jewish Family Services
Your Agency for Therapy and Social Work Services

02.999.9330
email:  office at jfsisrael.org