[RBS] it's 11:00, do you know where your children are?

Phil'n'Chanie Rosenfelder philnchanie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 09:03:25 IDT 2012

Israel is THE BEST place to raise children.
it is safe, kids have so much freedom here

however,  western (affluent)  influences have reached Israel too

so,we have pedophiles, we have drugs and we have alcohol

now, BH, it ain't canada
but , that also means that we don't have big houses with basements, and in
Israel, most  kids, to get the headspace they need, hang out with their
friends out of doors, especialy after the sun goes down
it all makes sense given the weather, given the size of houses and given
the  fact that until very recently, Israel really was so innocent

but the innocent days are over
Israeli kids cannot raise themselves anymore
they aren't all just dancing the hora after  a long day  in the fields
they aren't all standing guard against arab marauders
or tending the sick in field hospitals

and this means that
WE, THE PARENTS
MUST GO OUT , EVEN AT MIDNIGHT,
TAKE A WALK AROUND THE NEIGHBOURHOOD, AND SEE WHAT OUR KIDS ARE UP TO

We on the sayeret horim  never call parents to say "do you know what i saw
your daughter doing last night?"
We shouldn't.  That isn't our job.
Parents whose kids are not safely at home by 11:00, should take their role
as parents seriously enough
to get up and see what their kids are doing!

And, if you are afraid of what you might see,
there are professionals available  to help -
help you prepare for what you might see
support you if that is what you really do see
and help you deal with it

The beit shemesh parents' school has brought many of those professionals
here to speak to parents,
and they will again BEH next school year

But we parents cannot wait till then
Summer vacation is when kids really need to be outside after dark
I think it is a valid need, and, as i said before, most kids are just
schmoozing, they just need some physical space.

AND just as valid is their need to know that their parents CARE
that their parents will occasionally take a walk around the block to make
sure their  kids are safe
that their parents will volunteer for the sayeret horim to keep ALL local
kids safe

Just like the hospital  nurses that we want to make more frequent
checks, walking around the wards to make sure nothing goes wrong BEFORE the
machines beep
we, on the sayeret horim, show that we care
that we want our kids to be safe
just by walking around, talking to the kids, and mostly, listening to them
PLEASE JOIN US!!!!

and if you can't commit to doing sayeret, then AT LEAST , when your own kid
isn't in bed, come and take a look
even if he makes a face at you,
in his heart he is saying ,
"Thank You, Imma and Abba,  for caring about me."

(personal note: my kids like to hang out at home, but they are very happy
that we volunteer for the sayeret because they know that they have
classmates and neighbours who need more positive adults in their lives)