[RBS] Don Draper on Success and Happiness

Ellen Segal ellensegal at netvision.net.il
Sun Jun 10 17:58:36 IDT 2012

“Even though success is a reality its effects are temporary.
You get hungry even though you’ve just eaten.
You’re happy because you are successful, for now.
But what is happiness?
It’s a moment before you need more happiness.” Don Draper, Mad Men, Season 5
Episode 11

Sounds like Don is describing a success junkie.
We know about unhappy achievers. Consider miserable superstars. They have
the fame and fortune, but they are not happy.  They believed that when they
“made it” THEN they’d be happy. But, they aren’t.

So, reaching goals doesn’t bring happiness? Should we just kick back and
chill? Not exactly and nope.
Research shows that achieving goals gives you only a temporary spike in
happiness, but we do need goals in order to enjoy the here and now.  Goals
properly understood: Future goals as means; present experiences as ends.

It is the process of striving after value based goals rather than the
achievement of the goal itself that is crucial for happiness.
Being a success junkie won’t bring you sustained happiness and it’s not
about sitting back on your laurels. It’s about being in process-having a
goal and enjoying moment to moment happiness, now, while you are working
toward your goal.
And when you get there? Set another goal and enjoy the ride.

Contact me for assistance in choosing goals that are in alignment with what
makes you tick, figuring out how to achieve them and staying the course.
Ellen Segal

"Yes, You Can!" Coaching
Because the power you seek is within you
+972-2-999-3110
ellen at ellensegal-lifecoach.com
www.ellensegal-lifecoach.com
Check out "Yes, You Can!" Coaching on Facebook
Member of Israel Coaching Association