[RBS] illegal building--is there a better way?

Riva joelriva at bezeqint.net
Fri Jun 22 00:40:52 IDT 2012

The Chadash this week focuses on illegal building and how there are so many
Beit Shemesh residents in violation of building code and how the Iriya is
being forced to step up "tzav harisah" and stop illegal building.

It has become clear to me that the process of obtaining permits here-and
perhaps all throughout Israel-is so twisted and so full of corruption that I
believe it is an impediment to the average citizen being able to build
legally. In the US, you could apply for a building permit pretty easily, pay
a nominal fee, and get your permit, provided you were in compliance with
zoning laws. Over here, though, just obtaining building permits involves
thousands of shekels, often equal to the cost of the renovation itself! And
a regular citizen cannot get around having to pay these fees to architects
or engineers. Moreover, there is a lot of bribery, buttering up, and
entirely non-kosher stuff that goes into getting permits which makes the
whole system seem highly corrupt.

So firstly, I am wondering if I am missing something here. I mean, it just
seems so obvious that people are building illegally because they can't
afford to obtain permits-or even if they are willing to pay, it can take
YEARS to obtain permits, or sometimes the zoning laws are just so capricious
and ridiculous. Of course, there are going to be those people who couldn't'
care less about permits even if they cost a dollar, but I'm talking overall.
So why is no one talking about this aspect?

The next thing I'm wondering is.is there anything to do? The same way
cellphone company corruption was finally abolished, can we work to abolish
construction corruption and if so, how?

Good Shabbos,

Riva