[RBS] shabbat stabbing

Phil'n'Chanie Rosenfelder philnchanie at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:43:23 IDT 2012

I have not had time to check if the local lists here include any
comments about the potential in our fair city for a stabbing as
happened in Be'er Sheva this past Shabbat

so, i apologize if i am writign what others have written already

i am writign to ask (beg, plead) of all my neighbours - join the
Sayeret Horim!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only is the noise and violence level lower when we are out there,
BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY - the kids that we reach are taken OUT of the
cycle of violence / distress.  We are not just working on symptoms, we
are helping deal with the source of the problem.

Many teens (and older kids too) feel abandoned - they don't have the
kesher that want / need with their parents or teachers.  They are
looking to meet their five basic needs , and can find themselves
meeting those needs in unhealthy ways.
We can give them what they need in a positive way, by being adult role
models that actually care about them

We are taking about a commitment of 3 hours a month, plus a course in
which we learn valuable tools.  One can begin volunteering after a
brief training evening, and attend the course when it is next offered.

I can also promise that many of the kids wandering around here speak
English , so even if your hebrew isn't great, you can be very useful.
also,
first of all, our job is to LISTEN more than to talk
second, we go in groups of 3-5 people, so pair up with people whose
hebrew is better
third, this is a great push to improve your hebrew - turn on that
radio, read that newspaper article or parsha sheet

from our last round of sayeret horim, i do not believe that any amount
of police presence can make up for the number of kids wanderign around
, feeling disconnected from their parents and schools.   Not all of
those kids are "trouble", in fact, most are not.  But for the police
to supervise those numbers of kids would require a police force of
half the adult population.
On the other hand, since most of these kids AREN'T trouble, our
presence is just as reassuring to them as it is to us.
So, guys, get out there!!!
Make yourselves seen!!